Sunday, December 7, 2008

Tis the Season!

It's been a while since I've updated this blog. Hard to find time with so much going on - hosting Thanksgiving, working, being Momma (and wife), getting ready for Christmas.....Yes, Christmas!!! How can that be?! Wasn't in just summer yesterday?!

Well, even if it was it is now Winter in Wisconsin and we have the snow to prove it! December 1st - just like last year - was our first significant snowfall and we've had more since. And on Tuesday into Wednesday they are predicting 6-12 inches. Could anyone who comes to read this blog please do a snow dance for me and pray that we get a good 6 or more inches starting around 2-3 AM?! Can you say SNOW DAY?! Ok, it likely won't happen BUT one can wish!!

And really, I don't mind the snow. I mind the people who drive like idiots even though we live in WI and get snow every year. HELLO! Slow down, put your lights on, and don't follow so close to me! Yes, snow is much better than cold, and we've had that lately. Brrr.

So cold was it that I had the opportunity to go to the Packer game at Lambeau today but didn't go. But I will put out there that I wanted to go, even though I knew it would be cold. But my husband is just too darn practical and said, "Let's not go since it is going to be so cold, Packers are only mediocre, and we have just too much to do." Ok, so we didn't go. And really that was good. I did have a lot to do and did get a lot done!

One thing I did - make a few batches of fudge. Easiest ever. And fast.
Here is the recipe (and I may have posted this before but oh well)

EASY FUDGE
1 can sweetened condensed milk
3 cups chips (whatever flavor you like - or use a combination)
1 tsp vanilla (or other extract like mint)

**can also add nuts and marshmallows, too!

Melt over low heat and pour into a foil lined, buttered 8x8 pan. refrigerate (or freeze) until firm. Cut into small squares and keep refrigerated (or frozen) in an airtight container. This fudge makes a great Christmas gift - and a little goes a long way.

Now, if you really want to get fancy, use a cake pan and put a foil covered (or saran wrap) can in the middle. Pour the fudge in to make a pretty fudge wreath!!! You can add some candied red/green cherries for decoration but you have to do it right away! I got this idea from Rachel Ray's magazine a couple of years ago. They are really cute!

Other goodies I like to make for Christmas

Pretzel Turtles
Snap pretzels
Rolo candies
Pecans (Toast ahead of time in oven)

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Put a rolo on each pretzel and cook for about 3 minutes at 300. Remove from oven and 'squish' a pecan on top of the melted caramel. Cool. (works well to chill in fridge or garage if you are in a cold state like me). Can drizzle chocolate over pecan for decoration.

These are pretty easy - the "putzy" part is unwrapping the rolos!!!

You can also dip pretzel rods in chocolate or make "Snowballs" or "Oreo balls"

Oreo balls or "Snowballs"
1 pkg oreo cookies
1 pkg cream cheese

Combine both in food processor. Form into small balls and chill. When firm dip in melted white chocolate and chill again. These are SOOOO good and are addictive, so you might want to double the recipe right away :-) The are good dipped in milk or dark chocolate also. Make sure to use parchment paper and have a good double boiler for melting your chocolate. (make sure to add a little butter or shortening to your chocolate when you are dipping!)

Finally, if you like Girl Scout cookies (think Thin Mints) here is an easy fix that really tastes like a mint cookie! Melt chocolate and add MINT extract - you can also use some of the mint flavored chips that are out there. Dip RITZ crackers into the mint chocolate and cool on parchment paper. I was doubtful about these when I heard about them but they are really yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously! Try them!

More you say? You can always do the chow mein noodle crunchy chocolate clusters (whatever you call them) and you could do chocolate covered peanut or cashew clusters as well. Yum!

This year I'm also going to try making some candied nuts and I also took a recipe posted on Twopeas for a type of chex mix - toffee flavor. Sounded yummy so I'll give it a go and report back.

If you have any favorite (and easy) candy recipes let me know. Always good to try new things!

PS-They are now saying only 3-6 inches of snow on Tuesday. How depressing. I'm ready for the big storm! :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a yummy post! Your little one is ADORABLE!!! LOVE that pic of her!!

You can keep your big blizzards ;) haha Although truth be told, I don't mind them if I am ready and don't have to be out in them!

Lynn said...

Thanks, Lawanda!

We are only getting 2-4 inches so no blizzard here......bummer. I could use a snow day :-)