Monday, October 6, 2008

Bedtime Hell!

It is amazing how a 4 year old can bring a grown woman to tears - in a matter of minutes - over betime. I am "supposed to" know about behavior. How do deal with inappropriate behavior. How to not have these power struggles day after day after day. But man, 4 year olds are *MUCH* harder than 8th graders. Every night is a struggle lately. Every night. When I put her to bed. When Daddy puts her to bed. Same thing.....crying/screaming when it is time to go up. Having to go potty "one more time" after she's already gone 2x and is tucked in and goodnights have been said.

Every time.

And you know what? I just have to be done. I can't play anymore.

I guess from now on we go to bed "cold turkey" - no show, no books, no nothing. Until she can do it. Consistently. I know she can. I wish I knew why she won't. We'll see if Dr. Z has any better ideas at our check-up tomorrow!

2 comments:

Lisadwb said...

Oh I feel for you. I hope you find a solution soon. Keep us updated.

Anonymous said...

Oh when it is YOUR kid it is always harder! No matter their age!

Bedtime stinks around here too.

We were watching Nanny Jo the other night and I told Raechel I was going to have to call Nanny Jo to come put her to bed!

It is this trying age, though. I seem to remember having trouble with my other girls about this age too. So don't give up!! Consistency is all that does help... well that and time...