Monday, August 25, 2008

IT IS FINISHED!

My DH has been on my back to make a pen for a while. Yes, you heard right. Make a pen. He took a class at a local woodworking store a while back and made one. It was pretty cool. He decided he needed a lathe. He also thinks I need to take up woodworking. I don't. I like to scrapbook. I am behind in my scrapbooking - I don't have time to do woodworking.

But I said, "Sure honey, show me how to make a pen!" We started a few weeks ago and cut the wood in 2 pieces and drilled the hole. Well, that was hard b/c we didn't have what we needed to do so and the hole was a bit off-center but workable.

DH bought whatever it was he needed to use with the drill press - the name escapes this wood-working novice - and he drilled the other hole.

Last Friday he took off of work, the 4 year old was at Grandma's for the afternon, so........we got to some pen-making. The fun part was when it finally got on the lathe! For a project that should maybe take an hour it took me/us longer but it was our first time!

And....drum roll please.......here is the final product:



What do you all think? I'm proud of it. I didn't do it all myself, DH helped a good deal, but I'd say I did a good 60% myself. I'm sure it will get easier when I do the next one ...... gotta get going if everyone is going to get a pen for Christmas! *ha*

Thanks for making me do it, honey!

3 comments:

Lisadwb said...

Oh my!! Girl, you are a talented pen maker!! That is so cool. Those would be perfect Christmas gifts!!

Anonymous said...

How cool Lynn! My dh would love it if I took up wood working too! That is his hobby though! :-p

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's pretty cool!